There are 18 different freight classes for shipping as determined by the National Motor Freight Traffic Association (NMFTA). The type of freight is determined by the length, height, and weight of the shipment, but other considerations determine freight class as well. Density, handling, perishability, value, theft, delicacy and damage are also taken into account in freight classification. Liability considerations are another factor. If the cargo is easily stowed in containers, trucks, trains and boats it is less of a liability than refrigerated, time-sensitive, weather susceptible or hazardous products. Wood pallet dimensions are determined by these weight classes, size and shape of the cargo.
Freight class determines wood pallet dimensions
American standard wood pallet dimensions are 48″ wide x 40″ deep x 6.4″ tall. However, pallets measuring 42″ x 42″ and 43.3″ x 43.3″ are commonly used in North America, Europe, and Asia.
- Low-Cost: Shrink wrapped, durable goods exceeding 50 pounds per cubic foot: 48″ x 48″ pallet
- Class 55: Cement, blocks, and flooring weighing 35-50 pounds
- Class 60: Car parts and accessories weighing 30-35 pounds
- Class 65: Car parts, auto accessories, books in boxes and bottles weighing 15-22.5 pounds
- Class 70: Vehicle parts, engines, accessories and foods weighing 15 to 22 pounds
- Class 77.5: Tires and bath fixtures weighing 13+ to 15 pounds
- Class 85: Cast iron stoves and crated machinery weighing 12 to 13.5 pounds
- Class 92.5: Computer parts and appliances weighing 10+ to 12 pounds
- Class 100: Wine cases, caskets, vehicle covers, and car covers weighing 9 to 10.5 pounds
- Class 110: Artwork, table saws and cabinets weighing 8 to 9 pounds
- Class 125: Small appliances weighing 7 to 8 pounds
- Class 150: Bookcases and sheet metal weighing 6 to 7 pounds
- Class 175: Couches, stuffed furniture, and clothing weighing 5 to 6 pounds
- Class 200: Sheet metal parts for vehicles, aluminum tables, mattresses and aircraft parts weighing 4 to 5 pounds
- Class 250: TVs, mattresses and lightweight furniture weighing 3 to 4 pounds
- Class 300: Wood cabinets, model boats, tables and chairs weighing 2 to 3 pounds
- Class 400: Antlers weighing 1 to 2 pounds
- Class 500: Low-density or high-value items weighing less than 1 pound
Wood pallet dimensions and types
Besides the standard wood pallet dimensions there are other standard pallet dimensions and customizable wood pallets for cargo with unusual size, shape, and weight distribution. There are different types of wood pallet construction including blocked wood pallets and stringer wood pallets. Blocked wood pallets are made entirely of wood blocks. Stringer wood pallets are made with 2 x 4 wood with plastic or metal stringer construction.
Both block and stringer type pallets are referred to by the number of entries (opening for forklifts prongs):
- Un-notched or two-way entry pallets only have forklift openings on two ends.
- Four-way Opening pallets have full accessibility, four way or all way fork lift openings.
- Partial four-way opening pallets have regular two-way fork lift openings on two sides and small openings on the other two sides.
How to determine the right pallet and pallet dimensions for the classification of cargo
A freight calculator and freight specialist/consultant at a reputable freight and wood pallet company know the right wood pallet dimensions to suit the manufacturer’s goods. Greenway Products & Services, LLC has been in the wood pallet industry for over 28 years. Greenway has standard stringer wooden pallets in standard pallet dimensions for different freight classes. We also offer a computerized program to customize wood pallets for all your manufacturing product shipping needs.
Greenway Products & Services, LLC has consultants who work with you to ensure the safest, and most cost-effective shipping available. Greenway handles every aspect of shipping from pallet construction, supplying, storing, refurbishing, repairing, and disposal of all wood pallets. Our heat treated pallets are disposed of by mulching at the end of their usable life. After the pallets are mulched they are used in playgrounds, a better alternative to other mulching materials such as rubber which is viewed by experts as potentially toxic. Wood mulch is seen as a safer material.
Let Greenway Products & Services, LLC handle your New York, New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania shipping with wood pallets. We consult with you and handle everything:
“One supplier, one invoice, zero headaches”